Mixed Bean Salad
This is an adaptation of my Nana’s recipe for mixed bean salad. I’ve modified to suit my taste! You can add fresh herbs (like parsley, tarragon or basil) or try adding some additional vegetables (like fennel, celery or carrots) to add some crunch! The secrete is to let the ingredients marinade for a day before serving.
- 1/2 cup White Vinegar
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp cayenne pepper (Optional; I like it spicy)
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup oil (I use safflower, because it contains omega 3 fatty acids)
- 1 19oz can of Mixed Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 19 oz can of white kidney beans, rinsed and drained (You can use whatever kind of bean you like)
- 1.5 cups green beans, frozen, thawed and drained
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
Mix Vinegar, sugar salt and cayenne pepper in a large bowl, stir until sugar dissolves completely. Add onion and garlic, let sit while you open your beans and rinse and drain them. Add the oil to the vinegar mixture until combined. Add beans and peppers and stir. Cover and store in the refrigerator at least eight hours, the longer the better!